Anticipation rank 5/5
Improved Bloodrage rank 2/2
Toughness rank 5/5
Iron Will rank 5/5
Last Stand rank 1/1
Defiance rank 5/5
Improved Shield Bash rank 2/2
Concussion Blow rank 1/1

i think this build is a decent utility build. warriors, what are your thoughts?
Valermos
Legacy
Legacy

Post by Valermos »

hey man, sounds good, i just want you to help me on the field in arathi, "beer help me get this guy!!!" then u charge over and smash them :D good ol' beer!
Gekha
Registered Member

Post by Gekha »

Interesting. The only thing i find with this, or any other "no end talent" build (warriors) is this: You need something to use your rage on. While this is a good tanking build, The only thing I can see doing with it is using your rage to stay high in the threat list, which means spamming sunder shield bash revenge etc.

I think the idea of a utility build is adaptability. Be it Off tanking, picking up on MT death (you have these two covered) or dealing dmg (which is by no means a requisite for a warrior).
1. Ray and Gek will always tank before i do
This doesnt have to be true. If you are really into tanking and sometimes want to take the head, i have no problem equiping my crit gear and reaper and dealing dmg. The idea of my build is being able to switch between the two roles.

For anyone wondering about warriors, tanking, and the protection tree. Here is what you need to MT in any given situation talent point-wise.

Anticipation rank 5/5
Toughness rank 5/5
Defiance rank 5/5

Anyone who disagrees, all ill say is do some research and see whats been done with what builds. Im not saying the rest of the prot tree is useless, or doesnt help MTing or tanking in general. Surly more points into certain aspects of the tree will make you a better tank, but simply, these 15 points are enough. This game seems more centered around the whole raid's performance rather then it all comming down to the MTs equip like some other games...
2. Fury warriors are only gimpy rogues with heavier armor
And now fury. I havnt experimented with fury much myself, but i have been reading, and from what i gather, when it comes to the hardcore raid shit (longer fights/boss fights etc) Fury supplies a better sustained dmg output, and with significant burst dmg with execute spam under 20% (imp execute reduces the rage cost by 4, which means you can use it more often, and also given execute doesnt factor weapon dmg. Also consider the generaly faster rage gain duel wielding, thats alot of executes) Fury also offers raid support in imp. battleshout, and imp. demoralizing shout (underrated pve ability imo)

I think peoples biggest problem with fury is lack of pvp viability, since it is more sustained and less burst, which also makes it less effective in the first isntances since mobs are down fast. It is also takes some very good weapons to make it a viable build, 40 dps and higher id say.

Anyway, this is getn long, i like discussing this stuff and get carried away :P I know it sounds like im buffing up furys viability, i dont think its the greatest tree, but i feel its misinturpreted. Sorry if i sound critical, these are just some of my own opinions about warriors in general.
Trench
70 Blood Elf Paladin

Formerly:
Gek, Gekha, Fishbulb
60 Orc Shaman, Warrior and Hunter
Beerserker
Registered Member

Post by Beerserker »

I agree with most of what you wrote, gek. except for the necessity of an end talent. all three of them require huge committments to their respective trees, and imo the talent isn't worth what's gained by using my talent points in another tree.

As far as rage usage, i purposely didn't waste talent points on rage cost reduction slots (ie: imp. execute, imp. sunder, etc.) so excess rage wouldn't be an issue. the only time i ever find myself with a tonne of rage is when tanking/def. stance. and i've been getting better at spending rage / spreading hate on multiple mobs.

maybe i'm missing something.
Gekha
Registered Member

Post by Gekha »

My writing is in the perspective of Raid vs Raid Content, rather then Warrior vs mob. Ideally, in the high end shit (MC, BLW, ZG) you dont want to be fighting anymore then 1 or 2 mobs at a time, and CC can usually cover the rest. What you say is true when you are tanking, Im talking about overall and all around raid support.
As far as rage usage, i purposely didn't waste talent points on rage cost reduction slots (ie: imp. execute, imp. sunder, etc.) so excess rage wouldn't be an issue. the only time i ever find myself with a tonne of rage is when tanking/def. stance. and i've been getting better at spending rage / spreading hate on multiple mobs.
Lots of rage is good, and rage saving abilites are good if you can efficiently use alot of rage, increasing your overall raid contribution under whatever circumstance. However, if your primary concern is mitigating damage and generating threat, ignore anything ive said.

One concern if you will be finding yourself using a 1h n shield mostly with this build.

Deep Wounds: Your critical strikes cause the opponent to bleed, dealing 20% of your *melee weapon's* average damage over 12 sec.

If thats the case, it may be 8 points better spent (imp rend as well) , although im not sure if this is just to get to impale or not, so idk. I guess since you have cruelty you are looking for crits, as to which youd want the crit bonus as well, like you have, but its not quite a crit friendly build, but i know your not aiming for a crit build. I guess im just having a hard time understanding, youll have to explain the diferant aspects of it's purpose and why you made the choices.
Trench
70 Blood Elf Paladin

Formerly:
Gek, Gekha, Fishbulb
60 Orc Shaman, Warrior and Hunter
Beefnips
Registered Member

Post by Beefnips »

Nice build never went that way with my warrior (who is 0/0/51 atm)
It's better to be hated then forgotten.
Faiten
Legacy
Legacy

Post by Faiten »

lol is that all prot?